Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Berlin October 16 2012

The listening begins on the plane as we each insert our earbuds and we create individual listening worlds within a collective travel experience. As we cram our bodies and bags into small, shared spaces we find comfort through what hear; headphones allow us to choose what we listen to and attempt to drown out unwanted sound, for example, babies crying, a neighbor snoring uncomfortably close, inane conversations between those who know each other too well or those who've just met and are trying a bit too hard. Yet what listening experience are we truly engaging in? Do these little worlds close us in or shut everything else out? I found for me it actually allowed for a more singular focus offsetting the awkwardness of mass transit. I don't know if this is true for all, but I finished the ride with copious, reflective notes that energized me as I prepare to immerse myself in the musical adventures of Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment